Wednesday, February 22, 2006

ADRIFT-ER

From the bank of a river I watch. I watch the currents taking the water away to that place that I long to be, anywhere but here. I close my eyes and picture myself adrift on the water floating to some unchartered, far away destination. No attachments, no schedules, just adventure and freedom. I stare at the mountain range behind the open plains from the window of my car and wish to be a cowboy. Why can't I have a horse and just travel across the open country. I just want simple. To slow down and see what the world is too busy to notice. Let me soak in what's here, what God already gave us, instead of trying to get the next new creation of man. Sitting on my front porch I get a clear view of a train passing along on the tracks. I don't know where it's going and I want to find out. I daydream of being a hobo, with all my belongings in a sack, jumping on and going to the next site of interest that lay along the way. I don't want ordinary, I want release from the grasp that modern day society has on me. My life should be a blank book with exciting pages being written every day. Why do I long so much to be so far away. As much as I desire these things I sometimes realize that once I have managed to get far away it would become here and here would become far away. Still, though, to break the chains of everyday, to break the mold of average, to be different. I want to live life on the edge. I must have more than what the average person accepts as life. I must have freedom. "Oh, to be a drifter", I ponder the thought while perched on an old dock by the river... and slip back into a dream.

1 Comments:

At 6:01 PM, Blogger Michael Petrillo said...

Thanks, when I was writing the horse part I actually thought that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home