Monday, February 27, 2006

A little Irony

Ever notice how everything is made in China. From the ornaments in our living room, to the cars that we drive, to the kitchen sink. It seems the only thing that's safe is an American flag and I'm not even sure about that anymore. Why does China control the production industry of America. I just want to find one thing that isn't made in stinkin China these days........ So me and a friend ( I know, I know, I should have wrote a friend and I, but I said ," screw proper english." a long time ago.) were sitting in the house wasting a perfectly, pleasant day when I suggested taking a walk downtown to grab a bite to eat. We live right next to downtown, so it wasn't a big deal to walk. Besides, it was beautiful outside, how could we not enjoy it. So we arrive at our destination to find that it's closed on Saturday. It was one of those hometowny restaurants, so it was strange, but not too out of the ordinary. We talked and walked until we came upon 'plan b', which was a shady burger joint next to a used car lot. As we walked inside frantic little people scurried towards us saying that it wouldn't even be open for business for a week. It seemed that we were having a case of bad luck, but we didn't let that discourage us. Me and my friend ventured onward toward the next option ( by this time we had walked about a mile) just laughing at the situation. The closest place to us was a really nice, semi-expensive bistro, but at this point we weren't concerned. Upon our arrival and to our suprise (not) it didn't open until 5:00...p.m! Now it was getting serious. Since we had already walked half of Cleveland we actually considered just calling it a city-wide prayer walk and fasting the rest of the day. Still there was the undeniable fact that we were hungry and growing annoyed ( whom am I kidding we were fully annoyed) ( hey, I'm serious. Your laughing, I'm not laughing.). Finally we came to the chinese restaurant (no specified name needed). There we saw the most beautiful sight ever beheld by hungry, cranky eyes...... open. We crashed through the door and into the arms of an elderly, Chinese lady. After a hello kiss and a spank on the bottom we were promptly seated. The meal was excellent and was topped off by the-ever-so-famous fortune cookie. Two crappy fortunes and a bad taste in our mouths' later we were kicked back reading the cookie wrappers. This was about the time that my observant friend noticed that these Chinese fortune cookies were made, not in Peking or Hong Kong, but Stone Mountain, Georgia. That's like less than 3 freakin hours away. I felt so cheated. How could my exotic, cross-cultural experience be destroyed by some hicks in Georgia. It was somewhere between there and the two and a half miles to our house that it came to me. We ( that's us my fellow Americans) are the proud producers of fortune cookies and it brings me great enjoyment to know that somewhere on the other side of the world there's a little oriental man who's very annoyed by the idea that the fortune cookies he's eating are made in Stone Mountain, Georgia right alongside banjos and car parts. Aww, Payback is sweet!!

6 Comments:

At 11:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

michael.....you slay me....kudos on your great discovery....

 
At 11:23 AM, Blogger Michael Petrillo said...

Thankyou, I try. I just hope it brings you the same joy that it brings me.

 
At 5:09 PM, Blogger Michael Petrillo said...

what did he say? Ironicle or did he tell the same exact story as me. Now that would be ironicle.

 
At 3:07 PM, Blogger j. said...

an update incase anyone cares, I read the chopsticks label and they are made in white plains NY.

 
At 3:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha, you little pooper arnt you the funny one, im not from china. HA HA HA. Is it a bee utiful day today.I need to get one of these

 
At 4:26 PM, Blogger Michael Petrillo said...

Brittanie, That was the most disorganized and confusing comment that I've ever read. But, hey, that's why I luv ya. Oh, thanks for the info J., I'll treasure it forever.... somehow.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home